Words by Nicole Thomsen
November 21st, 2017
With the biggest retail day of the year looming, we’ve written our Black Friday wishlists in the hopes of securing our must-have buys this season at a discounted price. And while we may not know exactly what each retailer has planned, based on last year’s shopping extravaganza, stores such as Mango, Topshop, ASOS and even Net-a-Porter will (fingers crossed) offer some sort of deal this week.
Along with being the perfect occasion to cross a handful of names off your Christmas shopping list, it’s also the one time of year where we can justify those bigger splurges because who knows if or when we’ll see their price tags so low again? So, from statement knits to alternative partywear, this is what the team behind maven46 have got on their wishlists… What have you got on yours?
1. “Having recently used these Adidas trainers in our ‘Geek Goals’ editorial, I can say firsthand, I am smitten after trying them out on set. The equivalent to a glove on a foot, they are so comfortable, bouncy and so incredibly pretty. It wasn’t payday at the time of shooting so I’m waiting to add to my basket as soon as Black Friday hits.
2. I am not into sequins and sparkles so Christmas dressing can be tricky for me and that’s why this two-piece kimono suit has my name all over it. Elegant, understated but seriously stylish. Yes, please.”
– Tanya Grimson, Editor
1. “I spotted these platform heels a while ago and have coveted them ever since. Shoes are an easy way to add character to an otherwise minimalist look, they hint at hidden depths and your potential to go off the rails- if only for a few hours… They scream escapism. So yes, count me in.
2. Looking for a “go-to” piece this Christmas? You’re welcome. These velvet trousers have the potential to be the ultimate cost per wear item this party season with countless opportunities to dress down or up. A nice nod to the festive season minus the sequins.
4. There is something so decadent about this top. Slightly practical with its turtleneck credentials yet at the same time wholly impractical with cuffs that are sure to knock over a vino or two this party season. I especially love the back zip detail which is sure to flatter. This is party dressing the alternative way.”
– Leona McDaid, Director of Strategy
1. “This metal mini bag is out of this world and if you can’t splash out on an impractical bag on the biggest discount date in the calendar then when can you?
2. If you are in need of any tech upgrades this is the week to invest. Top of my Santa list is the Google Chromecast, a surefire way to avoid the annual Christmas arguments over which channel to watch.
3. Getting ahead (and a big discount) on the Christmas shopping is a great plan for Black Friday, so when my Mum asked me to look out for some statement pants I knew I’d struck gold with these H&M trousers.
4. Investing in good quality fabric is always a smart way of creating a wardrobe that stands the test of time. So use your discount wisely by picking pieces that are timeless in cut and top-grade textiles such as this silk blouse from Mango’s Premium line.”
– Michelle Hanley, Editorial Assistant
1. “Your coat is often the first and sometimes only part of your wardrobe that people see during the winter months so it should make an impact. Which is exactly what this pink borg jacket does. I’ll be keeping the rest of my ensemble simple in neutral tones to ensure the jacket really stands out.
2. A pair of ankle boots is one of my key buys every winter and this season I’m lusting after this croc patterned burgundy style from Topshop. As someone whose wardrobe consists predominantly of navy and grey, I love to introduce pops of colour via my handbags and shoes and these boots will do just the trick.
3. If you were to ask me, the only good thing about winter is the daily opportunity to bundle up in knitwear which is why I personally find it acceptable to spend that little bit extra on luxurious knits which I’ll wear time and time again. Top of my list is this sweater from Alexa Chung’s eponymous line which the designer herself wore to Glastonbury this year.
4. Voted Best Beauty Buy year after year, NARS ‘Orgasm’ is the most iconic blush on the market. Known for being universally flattering, this will be the perfect pep me up for my complexion this winter.”
– Nicole Thomsen, Senior Editorial Assistant
1. “This vinyl biker jacket is the perfect addition to my winter capsule. The faux fur lining is definitely an added bonus this time of year.
2. This season is all about the modest dress. The ability to wear them night or day and to pretty much any event is reason enough why you should own at least one in your wardrobe. This floral midi version is my star buy.
3. These monochrome checkered trousers offer a gentle update from your plain black twill trousers. Teamed with a separate of your choice and you are guaranteed to nail one of the season’s biggest trends.
4. If you are looking for a new season party dress look no further. This meteorological velvet mini will provide endless styling solutions to a never-ending season of soirées.”
– Emma Connell, Editorial Assistant
1. “I’ve had my eye on Pestle & Mortar for a long time and now that my other skincare products have run out I think it’s time to treat myself. This hydrating duo is great for all skin types, especially now coming into winter with central heating draining all the precious moisture from our complexions. Plus, how pretty is the packaging? Perfect for gifting, or self-gifting in my case.
2. I’ve always wanted to try light therapy treatments on my skin, so when I saw Neutrogena was releasing an at home DIY version it piqued my interest. This handy little device has been getting great reviews and if it does what it says on the tin, it will be well worth the money. (P.S. it’s much cheaper when you purchase it via Amazon US! 😉 )
3. My search for the perfect backpack has gone on far too long. Finding the ideal blend of practical and smart is no easy feat, especially when you’re on a budget. However, this Matt & Nat version from Urban Outfitters looks like it could be the stylish saviour to my aching shoulders.
4. I have yet to add a single piece of Victoria Beckham to my wardrobe but this cosy turtleneck is making it extremely tempting. The colour-block pattern makes it unique enough to elevate your knitwear wardrobe but its classic shape ensures you’ll return to it year after year – an investment you won’t regret.”
– Adina Whyte, Digital Marketing Manager
“Who isn’t anxiously awaiting Black Friday? The chance to pick up some incredible pieces at a discounted price is too good to miss. I’ve got my eye on these black leather wardrobe essentials, in particular, this week and of course a logo top from Wrangler.”
– Beatrice De Franceschi, Visual Assistant
[RoyalSlider Error] Username maven46mag not found
Sign up to our newsletter to gain exclusive access to our fashion and beauty reports, shoppable shoots and lifestyle inspiration.